Last week we took a four day trip to Wells Beach, Maine. My husband has been going there forever as his father is from that area. It is a wonderful place to be.
I am fortunate in that I can knit and tat while my most handsome is driving. This is a picture of my picot gauge attached to the small hook that I use. I put the two together in the car so that they wont get lost. But, one repeat into tatting on Renulek's doiley, they decided to escape together. They slid down between the car seat and the console. I couldn't find them until we stopped 2 1/2 hours later at our usual stop on the Mass Pike.
Yes, it is duck taped together. I sat on it once and broke the tip. I have other picot gauges but I really like this the best. It is thin. The new ones like this are thicker. The Clover ones that come as a set I do like but I don't want to have more than one to loose in the car.
Thankfully I had this "Idiots Dishcloth" to finish up. It was done by the time we stopped. I even had the ends sewn in.
Here is row #12 finished on my #40 doiley. One more row and it is done.
Here is the doiley made in #20 thread. Row 13 and this is the greased lightening row. It is going a lot faster than I expected. I had to remember how to do the onion ring. This doiley is the first time that I have made an onion ring. I did make one wrong, different than the others. I had made four the night before and when I started up the next day I could not remember what I did. It is OK that it is different. That means that it was hand made, not perfect but made with love.
I cannot believe that it is August already. I didn't show up in July at all, sigh. I did do things. I will begin by showing you row 12 done on Renulek's 2017 Doiley. This is the #20 done in white. It was completed about the middle of July and I have am working on row 12 with the Latte Foam #40 but I am slow in tatting this summer.
I am slow in many things this summer. I do not know where the time has gone but I have enjoyed it.
I would like to show you "my book". At the end of last year there were a lot of people on blogs talking about how they monitor their WIPs, UFOs, projects they have begun and are working on (or not working on). I decided to do something similar, "my book". Not an expensive one and it is yellow (so that I can find it). It lives by my handwork chair (usually).
I took two pages and made 20 columns, 10 per page. The first on the left is the date and day of the week with the month above. Then I found 15 unfinished projects and wrote their name across the top of the page. (There is a column for 2 new projects, a total of 17 projects). The E is embroidery, T is tatting, K is knitting and Q is quilting. Then, each time I work on something, I put the amount of time I worked on it and sometimes what I did. You can see under 25 Motif when I completed #9 and #10 in the same sitting. Under Renulek's Doiley you can see how long it took me to do some of rows.
Now to July, not much done at the second half of the month. Hmmm?
So far this year I have completed 7 projects, big and small, new and older. There are now empty columns! I am making sure that I do not have more projects open than columns. Now on to August.
June was a busy month. We began it by traveling to Maryland and Ohio to visit family. Didn't get as much handwork done in the car as I wanted. So, I am a little (like lots) behind in what I wanted to complete.
My June handwork and finishes:
I have a new great nephew arriving sometime at the end of July. Here are pictures of his little boy quilt. In my mind, boys don't like baby themes, this has a Tonka truck theme. All boy to me.
His Dad is a policeman in the Houston, Texas area. I was looking for police theme quilting and found this Texas Sherriff idea. It is Edge to Edge Quilting by Amelie Scott Designs. At first I was going to use the brown on the top but I didn't like it. I changed the top thread to a cream and kept the brown for the bottom thread. You can see the pattern design on the back. I really enjoyed this one.
Here is the quilting pattern on the front.
I was able to keep tatting on the Doileys by Renulek. Both have row 11 completed. The #20 is 16.5 inches across and the #40 is 13.5 inches across.
My Doileys had a discussion and the White one did not want to be completed before the Latte Foam. White #20 thread gave permission for me to complete Latte Foam #40 thread row 9. I thanked them very much and have worked diligently since I was last here, about 3-4 hours a day. This was usually evening work, unless it was raining. (Good thing my sewing machine went for a spa treatment.)
Last night at 10pm I was finished with row 9! I am so glad this row is done.
Row 9, once it moved into my finger memory, was easy to do and, in a way, fun. The row, to me, just took forever. Now onward! The rest of this will seem like a piece of cake, greased lightning, smooth sailing, a summer breeze......
I was thinking of calling this entry Greased Lightning. That is what I felt like when tatting row 10. It moved along so quickly that I was surprised when I was done. Here is the doiley in size #10. Now on to row 11.
I have been able to tat both doileys on the same evening. I have tried to give them almost equal tatting time (I don't want one to think that it is neglected).
You can see that row 9 is a MUCH slower tat. I am glad that I did the #10 thread doiley before the #20 thread doiley. The repeat pattern is better set in my mind and fingers.
Enjoy your day. We actually had sunshine today, no rain or clouds.
Correction: One doiley is in #20 thread, white and the other doiley is in #40, Latte Foam (I think it is called).
One row 9 down, now onward. Will begin Row 9 with the #40, but, will also begin row 10 with the #20. (I need moments of less concentration, I think. Shall see if doing two different row patterns confuses me.)
Have a great day. This one has started wonderfully!